Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas!


What a lovely Christmas it's been so far! Every year I gush at how much I love my family and spending time with them, and this year is no different. How did I get lucky enough to have been born to such a caring and wonderful family?

This year, we had our traditional meal: a tray of cold cuts, breads, and appetizers. Quick and easy, and we can get down to the serious business of unwrapping presents! We started at 6pm, ate and chatted til about 8, and then the marathon began. Everyone unwraps one at a time, so we can see what everyone got, see how they liked what we got them, and thank them personally for each one. It took us four hours. (We had to have an intermission at 9 to have dessert and stretch.)

Everything was sweet and thoughtful! I love all my gifts, and I'm delighted to report that my gifts to my family seem to have been well received, too!

My brother and I try to outdo each other every year, in a sort of unspoken competition. The winning gift, in my opinion, was his- this diabolical creation from my darling, demon-spawn brother. He tucked a gift certificate from my favorite yarn store (Babette's Yarn and Gifts) inside this clear plastic puzzle box. The certificate was taped in such a way that I could see the name of the store, but not the amount. You have to roll the ball around all six sides and get it plunked down in the right spot to slide the latch and open the box. He knows I love puzzles, and the easy solution (involving a good-sized hammer) is not an option for me, because I cannot, ever, allow a puzzle to beat me.

It's going to take me all year to figure out how to "repay" him for such thoughtfulness.

I love my family. =)

3 comments:

mainie said...

merry christmas. HeHe I got my dad a die cast puzzle this christmas. I figured it would be a gift that would keep on giving(frustration at least). Let us know how long it took you to figure out yours. P.S. have you seen the bottle locker puzzle?

Celera said...

That's hilarious! as long as it's you and not me, of course. I'd be getting the hammer. :)

How nice to have a family that you are comfortable and happy with. I have that kind of rapport with my kids, at least, and it's wonderful.

Muffin Recipes said...

Good reading your post